To commemorate the 100th anniversary of gift of cherry trees given to the U.S. by Japan, Japan Day 2012 invites visual artists to submit their artwork to the â€œJapan Day – Cherry Blossom Art Contestâ€. The chosen artwork will become the official image of Japan Day @ Central Park 2012, and will be used for the Official Poster, Program and Flyer. The winnerâ€™s award, and up to four honorable mentions, will be presented the day of the event. Please see below for details.
EXTENDED to Friday March 9th, 2012
- Art must incorporate the themes of â€œCherry Blossom(s)â€, â€œNew Yorkâ€, â€Japanâ€, and â€œCentral Parkâ€.
- Size must be 24″ tall X 18″ wide.
- Artist must be available to accept their award on the day of the event, Sunday, May 13th.
- Only two-dimensional media is accepted.
- All entries must be the original work of the entering artist.
- Artwork submitted to previous contests and/or which has been previously shown or published is NOT eligible.
- Art must not contain explicit sexuality, violence, or any discriminatory elements.
- Only one submission per artist will be accepted.
- Layout designs for the poster, flyer and the official program are subject to the final approvalÂ of Japan Day, Inc.
- By submitting their artwork, artists grant Japan Day the right to use their work for the purpose of marketing, exhibition and other Japan Day-related uses.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Please submit a digital image (JPEG format: 300 pdi or more) of the artwork with an essay (about 300 words) describing it. Send via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail to the Japan Day Project Liaison Office.Â (Attn: Japan Day â€“ Cherry Blossom Art Contest / 226 West 47th Street 8FL, New York NY 10036) **Please do not send the original artwork. Japan Day Inc. will not be responsible for the return of the works.
The winner and honorable mentions will be announced in early April.
- Adrian Benepe – Commissioner, New York City Department of Parks & Recreation
- Douglas Blonsky – President, Central Park Conservancy and Central Park Administrator
- Shigeyuki Hiroki – Ambassador and Consul-General, Consulate General of Japan in New YorkÂ (Honorary Chairman of Japan Day, Inc.)
- Mitsuhiko Kawai – President, Mitsui & Co. (U.S.A.), Inc. (President of Japan Day, Inc.)
- David Revere McFadden – William and Mildred Lasdon Chief Curator and Vice President for Collections and Exhibitions, Museum of Arts and Design
- Cora Rosevear – Associate Curator, Department of Painting and Sculpture, The Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Kumiko Yoshii – President, Gorgeous EntertainmentÂ (Executive Producer of Japan Day @ Central Park)